Thursday, December 01, 2005

Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie

So I'm reading some Oscar Wilde - The Importance of Being Earnest & An Ideal Husband (two of my favorite plays) - and I thought I'd look up some biography things on him. Apparently his sister, Isola Emily Francesca, died from fever when she was 10 ... her death impacted him so much that for the rest of his life, he carried a lock of her hair sealed in an envelope. It's kind've sweet, but mostly freaks me out. Anyway, he died from meningitis (caused by a recurrant ear infection) on November 30, 1900.
WEIRD that I decided yesterday to start re-reading his stuff ... on the anniversary of his death.

Comments:
I think if it were not for Rupert Everett, I would not have come to love Oscar Wilde so much. He was in both the screen adaptations of An Ideal Husband, and The Importance of Being Earnest and is just wonderful.
I have a book of epigrams also and find it amusing to look through it every once in a while ... I find the best sayings are either Mark Twain or Oscar Wilde!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?