Friday, February 17, 2006

Chet

Chester Zytkus
May 13, 1920 - February 16, 2006


My mother in law's father passed away yesterday. You may recall that her mother, Helen, passed away in November. Just after Helen died, Chet found out that he had cancer for the second time. For the last few weeks of his life he'd been at Flower Hospital, as he was having bad reactions to the chemotherapy. Vicki kept trying to get him to eat, saying, "Dad, if you just eat you'll feel better and you can go home" - Chet said, "What for?"
He was moved to Hospice on Wednesday and died just 15 hrs later. I like to think that Helen was just waiting for her beloved husband of 57 years to join her.
Chet was an extremely accomplished man, being a CPA and an officer of the OSCPA. He and Helen both were very active in their church, Hampton Park Christian Church. I've seen pictures of the two of them on vacation and playing golf - they loved golf. He was a brilliant man, one who studied medicine and horticulture. He was also very close to my brother in law, his favorite grandson.
Even though I haven't been in the family long, when people ask me if I knew him, I'll be able to proudly say that I did.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?